Friday 21 March 2014

DRAFT Evaluation Question 7 -

Looking back at your preliminary task (the school magazine task), what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to full product? -

Since completing the preliminary task, i have acquired a set of brand new skills which i have used whilst designing my draft and final magazine.

When set the task of designing a school magazine, i had very little knowledge on how to use software such as Photoshop and therefore was only able to produce a basic, unprofessional page. However, since completing the preliminary task, i have been able to develop and enhance my skill set on software such as Photoshop and have progressed by learning a large variety of techniques which have enabled me to create a semi-professional, draft magazine as well as a professional, aesthetically pleasing final piece.

To create my prelim, draft and final magazine covers I used a particular computer programme commonly known as Photoshop. When the course commenced, I had very little experience on Photoshop and therefore did not have any understanding of how to use the features provided.  Whilst designing my prelim magazine I took a substantial amount of time just to create a simplistic page, which did not appear very aesthetically pleasing. However, as the course progressed and I continued to use Photoshop, I was able to acquire a brand new skill set which enabled me to widen my options whilst designing my draft magazine. Although this new skill set allowed me to do a vast amount more, I had not yet perfected them and so was only able to create a draft magazine which was not as aesthetically pleasing or professional as I had first hoped. As more time passed and I began to design my final magazine I became extremely comfortable whilst using Photoshop and was confident whilst using the provided features. I had managed to learn the system and was now able to use a wide range of features including how to crop, re-size and edit images, to make them appropriate for the particular page and to make them look professional and aesthetically pleasing.  I was also able to add, re-size and re-colour text and shapes, as well as adding images to the existing page e.g. the bar code to the almost finished front cover. By looking back on my time spent using Photoshop, it is clear to see that I have made a huge progression since designing my prelim.

In order to capture realistic, authentic professional Images a large amount of preparation took place. To set the scene for the Photoshop I had to set up the screen, the lights and the camera itself. Whilst setting up the lights, I used my knowledge on three point lighting (a technique discovered at the beginning of the course) this enabled me to place the lights in a position which would allow my models to stand out and appear as a professional band at a professional photo-shoot.  To do this, I ensured that the back light, the fill light and the key light were all in their correct positions in order to create the images needed for my music magazine. To ensure that I had a range of images to choose from, I opted to position the camera in different positions e.g. I moved the camera closer to the models face for a close up shot etc.

At the very start of the course I opted to design a magazine for the indie/alternative genre, and therefore knew that at some point I would have to find a model or a group of models who would fit this particular genre. My immediate first choice was my friend Harry Julian. I wanted Harry to be my main model as in my opinion, he fits the genre perfectly. Not only that, but Harry is a big fan of indie/alternative music and plays in a band himself. His clothes, hair and all round arrogance are just a number of characteristics which made him in particular stand out. However, whilst creating an artist, I decided that to fit to the genre’s authenticity, I wanted to create a band, (as indie/alternative music magazines such as Q and NME often feature bands rather than soloists) After making this decision I was then set with the task of finding two more models, as my created band consisted of 3 members.  Although finding two other models was not easy, I eventually decided to ask two of my other friends, Harry Lunn and Angus Cox. Similarly to Harry Julian, these two also fit the genre perfectly as they to dress in indie/alternative clothing and listen to indie/alternative music.

When given the task of designing a preliminary magazine, choosing the model was an extremely difficult aspect. Whilst choosing the model i was unaware of the techniques needed in order to make the model appear realistic and authentic. Although my preliminary magazine is a college magazine featuring a sixth former, the choice of clothing and persona of the model does not automatically suggest this, meaning that the entirety of the page is flat and is not at all eye catching or aesthetically pleasing.
As the course progressed and i was set with the task of finding models for my draft and final magazines, i began to develop my understanding of how to manipulate the models stance, clothing and personalities in front of the camera in order to make the final image appear realistic and authentic - aspects needed when shooting a successful photograph. To do this, i picked clothing suitable to the genre e.g. leather/bomber jackets, interesting t-shirts, patterned shirts etc. in order to make the models appear as an indie rock trio and to give them the presence needed.

Below is the progression from my preliminary magazine cover, to my draft magazine cover and to my final magazine cover.

Preliminary Magazine Cover, LC LIFE



Draft Magazine Cover, REVOLUTION



Final Magazine Cover, REVOLUTION





1 comment:

  1. Be more explicit as to how you've improved...mention the tools you learnt how to use on Photoshop, the setting up of a picture, the styling/fashion/choosing the right model, the in-depth research and planning you learnt how to do etc etc

    ReplyDelete