Tuesday 21 January 2014

Language Register -

To make my magazine the complete package i will have to analyse, in detail, the language i will be using in order to define who my specific target audience is and why the language will apply to and attract them to my magazine. As my genre of music is extremely popular in today's youth culture, i have decided to aim my magazine at a predominantly male group, as stereotypical, males prefer indie/alternative rock music. The age group i have decided on is between 16 and 24. I decided to use this particular age group after analysing my audience research. The groups i found to enjoy indie/alternative rock are defined as Indie Scenesters and Hipsters. The people who fall into this category are youthful people, and the age range stretches from the mid teens up to the mid twenties, the reasons for this are their fashion, culture and of course taste in music. Therefore, i am going to use a mixture of simple and sophisticated lexis throughout my magazine to show a clear balance between the youthful and the sophisticated, older side of the target audience. To add interest, humour and opinionated discussion into my magazine i am going to include colloquialisms as well as taboo terms, in order to give the target audience a sense of maturity. However, if taboo terms such as the 'F' word are used in e.g. interviews with the artists, they will be clearly written but censored to avoid negative criticism e.g. "it was F*****g great!" To give my magazine a professional edge, i am going to include aspects of jargon throughout, in order to portray to the reader my knowledge and intelligence on the particular subject e.g. the jargon/terminology of guitars may be used when interviewing a particular band. Along with jargon, a semantic field of music will be used throughout also, as musical words and phrases will feature on virtually every page.


No comments:

Post a Comment