Wednesday 15 January 2014

My Favourite magazines from the past 12 months -


Whilst searching through my favourite magazines from the past 12 moths, this particular edition of NME stood out to me immediately. The overall design of this cover is both simplistic and extremely unique. The colour palette is also extremely interesting as the particular shade of turquoise gives the page a clean cut appearance which allows it to stand out from any other magazine on the shelf. whilst designing my music magazine cover page i may attempt to emualte a variety of features which appear on this particular magazine cover.  These features are the simplicity, the colour palette as well as the positioning of certain information,such as who else is featuring inside the magazine.



The second in my list of favourite magazine covers from the past 12 months is this version of NME featuring Alex Turner, the lead singer of the Arctic Monkeys. This particular cover stood out to me because of its busy, youthful style. Every part of this page has something going on, may it be writing or an image. I admire the use of clashing colours as I believe that this gives the page a vibrant appearance and one which is extremely eye catching. The fonts used are extremely interesting and are simple to read, as a reader I appreciate the use of simplistic fonts so that every words is readable. Another aspect of this cover which I like is the way in which the model is positioned. I admire how Turner is staring at the camera, this makes me feel as if turner himself is targeting the magazine at me, this therefore intrigues me and makes me want to buy and read the magazine. Whilst designing my magazine i may attempt to emulate a number of the features which are used on this particular magazine. These techniques are way the model/models are positioned, the busy style as well as the
simplistic fonts and vibrant colours. 





This particular edition of the NME caught my eye due to its simplicity and use of a large, bold and colourful font. I like this magazine cover as it is simple yet does everything it needs to - shows the reader what the magazine is and which artist is the main feature, in this case blur. I also like how the band are positioned, i feel that the photography brings the page to life and allows the audience to make many connotations about the band, just by looking at this image. I believe that the colours used on this particular magazine cover compliment each other exceptionally well, as the yellow writing on the dark background of the image allows the lettering to stand out and appear clear to the reader. Whilst designing my magazine front cover, i will attempt to emulate this technique by using a font and a colour which is easy to read and that stands out on the page.Whilst designing my magazine front cover, i may attempt to emulate certain aspects of this page including the use of a simplisitc, large and colourful font, a simplistic image, shwoing each band memeber as well as cover lines featuring phrases such as 'World Exclusive'







This particular edition of NME captured my attention due to its use of vivid colours and busy appearance. A particular aspect of this page which i find interesting is the way in which the main cover line has been positioned. Both the font and the colour allow the text to stand out, and the tilt on the lettering gives the main cover line a unique effect. Although this page is features a substantial amount of information, everything is spaced out, this gives the page a professional appearance. Another aspect which captured my eye is the use of pictures at the bottom of the page, this gives the audience an extremely clear image of what other artists are feautirng inside the magazine. Whilst designing my music magazine cover i may attmept to emulate a variety of features from this particular magazine cover. These features are the use of a pull quote to attract the readers and possibly shock them, the use of a bright, clear font, the use a mixed colour palette (2 or more colours) as well as images showing the reader who else is featuring inside the magazine, although applying this technique may be extremely difficult to produce.



















1 comment:

  1. After reading through your comments i have decided to take your advice on board and have added a reflective paragraph explaining which specific aspects i admire the most from each music magazine cover. By completing this task i have gained further knowledge on what features i wish to include on my magazine front cover, this has given me a clearer picture and therefore will make it easier for me whilst i am designing the front cover.

    ReplyDelete